Diversity at the Max Delbrück Center
The Max Delbrück Center will host its first-ever Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Week, from November 13 to 17, 2023. The event will foster engagement, support, and unity of its research community, and will feature workshops, panel discussions, and community activities at its Buch and Mitte locations.
The Max Delbrück Center is proud to announce its inaugural Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Week, beginning November 13, 2023. Hosted at its Buch and Berlin-Mitte locations, the event celebrates the center’s commitment to a recent initiative, “MDC Diversity – a sustainable approach to an inclusive research community.”
The goal of this initiative is to foster a more dynamic, cohesive, and welcoming environment for each member of the Max Delbrück Center’s international community of scientists, staff, and collaborators. The Max Delbrück Center hopes to make DEI a core tenet of its success in its pursuit of scientific excellence. The upcoming event will recognize and celebrate the diversity of backgrounds, perspectives, and talents that enrich our scientific community. The Max Delbrück Center has also recently signed the “Charta der Vielfalt” (Diversity Charter).
Embracing diversity in science
"I see DEI as both a goal as well as an opportunity,” says the Max Delbrück Center’s Administrative Director Professor Heike Graßmann. “It is an opportunity to recognize and embrace differences, while harmonizing diverse perspectives throughout the decision-making process."
"Cultural transformation is a collective endeavor. Each of us has a role to play in fostering greater inclusivity within our community,” says the Max Delbrück Center’s Scientific Director Professor Maike Sander. “We will be a better institution if we practice an inherent openness toward new ideas, new approaches, and each other.”
DEI Week aspires to be more than just a platform for sharing ideas about DEI in science. It aims to serve as a blueprint for creating a scientific community that radiates a welcoming and inclusive atmosphere.
A week of insights and engagement
- a kickoff event on November 13, featuring opening remarks by Maike Sander and Heike Graßmann, followed by talks and panel discussions on subjects such as “Diversity Dividends in the Life Sciences” and “Allyship.”
- workshops on topics like “Transforming Bias”, “Intercultural Competence,” “Inclusive Language,” “Community Building,” and the “Democratization of Science.”
- community activities, including bouldering, dance classes, yoga, a ping-pong tournament, a book club, and a piano concert.
Dr. Jean-Yves Tano and Dr. Sanja Drakulic are the organizers of this initiative: “We hope that many people will join us in celebrating the values of DEI during this transformative week!” The Max Delbrück Center extends a warm invitation to all members of the scientific community in Berlin to participate and contribute their insights.
- For details, schedules, and updates, please visit our dedicated webpage.
- Read our press release here
- Charta der Vielfalt
- Diversity, equity and inclusion at the Max Delbrück Center